Google
 

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Picks for week 9

Been a little to lazy to write anything this week so I'm just writing down my picks for this week. Next week I'll try and write a little NBA preview and maybe about the suckitude of Brad Johnson.

But how about Texas Tech last night, Michael Crabtree snatched that ball out of the air and ripped the heart and soul out of the Longhorn faithful, what a game. Probably the game of the year, especially how it ended. We'll see how impressed the voters were with the victory and whether or not Tech will jump both Alabama and Penn State for the #1 ranking. And my school Oklahoma State gets to go in there next week and play Tech, should make for another fantastic game and perhaps we will play the spoiler next week. I personally don't think Tech can run the table so the thing that I hate about seeing Texas lose is it likely sets up for the 3rd freakin straight year a Big 10 team lucking out with there weak schedule and going to the National Title game, because in all likelihood they aren't losing another game.


Last week wasn't to bad but wasn't much better then the week before
I was 6-7-1 last week and 1-1 on the over/under
And for my 3 games I'd bet on I was 1-1-1 and missed the over/under
So for the year I am 45-51-4 15-12-2 on the over/under
And games I'd bet on I am 4-5-1 and 1-2 vs. the over/under

Onto this weeks slew of games:

Baltimore Ravens @ Cleveland Browns (-2)
The Ravens slaughtered them in week 2 but this Browns team is looking rejuvenated coming off an impressive victory over the Jaguars on the road. This Ravens team looked equally impressive vs. the lowly Raiders last week, I'll go with the safer pick here and choose the Ravens, a win here for the Browns however gets them right back into the playoff race.

Tampa Bay Bucs (-9) @ Kansas City Chiefs
I got cute 2 weeks ago and thought maybe just maybe the Chiefs they could give the Titans a close hard fought game, and that failed miserably. They did almost upset the Jets last week in a surprsingly strong start by 3rd string QB Tyler Thigpen especially since his running game didn't help him at all. The running game will fail again this week vs. a stout Tampa defense and I forsee Thigpen throwing at least 2 picks. Bucs, and the over/under is looking mighty low at 36.5 even with 2 stagnant offenses.

New York J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS @ Buffalo Bills (-5)
Both teams coming off of lackluster games but at least the Jets were able to win, the Bills were dismantled on the road vs. the Dolphins. These division games are tough to choose but I picked Buffalo over the Jets at the start of the season and am sticking to it. Bills

Arizona Cardinals @ St. Louis Rams (-3)
Even with the Rams great play over the last 2 weeks I expect this to be a one sided affair, the receiving trio of Boldin/Fitzgerald/Breaston will prove to be to much. I'd say the only thing the Rams have in there favor is it's a West Coast team having to play the noon start time that seemingly plagues the majority of west coast teams (and with good reason, when your body is on west coast time it's hard to get up to play a game at 10 o'clock)

Detroit Lions @ Chicago Bears (-12.5)
Bears are coming off of there bye week after puting up 48 points against the Vikings, the Lions have lost there last 3 games but have covered the spread in 2 of there last 3 (and the one they didn't they failed to do by a single point) They were embarrassed in there own place last time they played the Bears I expect an inspired effort by the Lions, but will still lose, but I expect them to cover.

Houston Texans @ Minnesota Vikings (-4.5)
This is a big game for the Texans, they've won there last 3 games after an 0-4 start and left for dead after giving the game away vs. the Colts. The Vikings will look to redeem themselves after giving up 48 points to the Bears. They have the worst special teams in the league (even worse then the Cowboys, which is hard to do) and Jacoby Jones has returned a punt 2 of the last 3 weeks and won't be surprised if we see that happen again today. This game is a real toss up in my mind, I'll flip a coin...Texans won the toss, they've elected to win. The over/under is at 47, I'm taking the under.

Green Bay Packers @ Tennessee Titans (-4)
I really could see the Packers coming into Tennessee's house and stealing this game but I'll keep picking the Titans until I see something that I don't like. But the Packers have had 2 weeks to prepare for this game so look out.

Jacksonville Jaguars (-7.5) @ Cincinatti Bengals
Something is off with the Jaguars, maybe it's the injuries to the offensive line but the defense doesn't seem as good as last year, perhaps they aren't responding to Jack Del Rio like they used to, but it's hard to bet against them vs. the lowly Bengals, Jags.

Miami Dolphins @ Denver Broncos (-3.5)
2 top 10 offenses in terms of yards per game, this will be a high scoring affair especially since the Broncos do most of there damage at home, Broncos, and the over/under is 50.5 I'll take the over.

Philadelphia Eagles (-7) @ Seattle Seahawks
I'm not really all that surprised the 'Hawks kicked the 49ers ass last week, I've been waiting for it I just needed to see it, but Seneca Wallace is not going to replicate that performance vs. the blitz schemes of Jim Johnson, Eagles big and take the over which is set at 43.

Atlanta Falcons (-2.5) @ Oakland Raiders
The Raiders did upset the Jets in there last home game, but I doubt that happens again, the Burner Turner and Rowdy Roddy White keep the Falcons in contention, although the NFC South does suck on the road.

Dallas Cowboys @ New York Giants (-8.5)
It doesn't look like the weather will be a factor in the game today so that takes away one of the reasons I would have given Dallas for possibly pulling off the upset, the other one is that it is a division game. The key is for Dallas to stop the 3 headed monster of the Giants running game, they did a great job stopping the run last week vs. Tampa but they've been fairly inconsistent stopping it the whole season. But you have to force Eli make plays, he's been good this season but he's always prone to Eli mistakes our young corners just have to be ready to pounce on those opportunities and not let the ball slip through there hands (like the guy last night in the Texas/Texas Tech game) Also on 3rd downs they need to cover Steve Smith which is easier said then done, I expect alot of blitzing by the Cowboys today. As for the offense where that's where things get hairy, the Giants lead the league in sacks, to negate that fact I'd line up Brad Johnson in shotgun and run a bunch of quick routes, slants, stops and try and work the middle of the field. The offensive line needs to deliver one of there best performances today and need to know where Justin Tuck is at all times. I expect us to lose this game, we're decimated by injuries and it's still up in the air if Jason Witten will even play which makes it even harder, and if the Cowboys get down by 2 TD's early expect Brad Johnson to get benched. The bye week can't come soon enough, Giants to win Cowboys to cover.

New England Patriots @ Indianapolis Colts (-6)
The NFL's marquee matchup of the past few seasons is now just another game, but I expect the intensity to still be electric tonight, but seriously what the hell are the Colts favored by 6 for? They've proven nothing so far and I'm still waiting to see some consistency, also I'm confused as to why Tony Dungy called a run on 4th and 1 last week when you're playing the league's best run defense and have Peyton Manning as your QB. If Addai was healthy was healthy I could maybe buy it but this is Dominic Rhodes we're talking about, that play may have cost them the game, that and the Colts receivers letting the ball bounce off there hands. I'll take the Pats who are getting stronger with each passing week.

Monday Night
Pittsburgh Steelers @ Washington Redskins (-2)
Is anyone pumped up for Chris Berman interviewing Obama and McCain at halftime? Me neither, how stupid, not to mention Berman is just a big pile of suck. As for the game, I read this little nugget the other day:
Since 1936, the outcome of the last Redskins home game before Election Day has correctly predicted the winner of the presidential race. For 64 years and 17 presidential elctions, if the Redskins won the game, the incumbent party won the White House. If they lost, so did the incumbent party, this has held true in every year except 2004 when the Redskins lost and the Republicans still held the presidential office.
So this little golden nugget will be put to the test this Monday, normally I'd take this info and take the Steelers since it's becoming fairly obvious Obama will win but the Steelers have looked god awful against the NFC East and makes me wonder why the hell they were favorites before last week to represent the AFC, I just don't see it and haven't been overly impressed with them all season. The Redskins however have and I'll take them, the over/under is 36.5 I'll take the over.

3 games I'd bet on:
The Eagles on the road over the Seahawks, Cardinals @ the Rams house, and Broncos at home vs. the Dolphins

over/under of the week would be the Eagles/Seahawks game set at 43

man i really like to overrate the eagles dont I

until next week where i'll likely be writing for myself (hopefully it will at least get written a couple days before sunday)

No comments: