Google
 

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Picks for week 17



Before we start congratulations to my former high school Allen Eagles for bringing home the 5-A Division I state title. They did it beating 3 undefeated teams in there last 4 games and all without there starting quarterback. I missed the Cowboys/Ravens game last week (still haven't brought myself to watch it) in order to see us possibly win the title and it was all worth it. Unless you live in Texas you probably will never be able to understand the allure that goes into the state's high school football but I've been going to Allen games for a dozen years and there really is few things I enjoy more (since we've been a fantastic program for the majority of those dozen years) It's just great to see Allen finally get over the hump in what was a truly electrifying game.

Before we get to this week's picks I'd like to bitch about the absurdity that is Wes Welker getting fined for doing a snow angel after scoring a touchdown vs. the Cardinals this past Sunday (aren't they falling apart) He was fined 10 K for this. Shaun Ellis of the NY Jets was fined the same amount for throwing this huge block of snow (and it really was huge) at a fan in the front row this past week at the Giants/Seahawks game.



Now the Seahawks fans were out of line for throwing stuff at the Jets players as they ran into the lockerroom but it baffles me how you can get fined the exact same for doing a snow angel (and accomplishing the teams goal in SCORING THE BALL!) and throwing a giant block of snow at a fan (which could probably turn around and sue the NFL or press charges on Ellis) Ellis claims it was all in fun, I don't really buy it. When will this era of suck by commissioner Goodell end?

Onto the games:

Oakland Raiders @ Tampa Bay (-13)
Chucky coaching against his former team as he's fighting to lay claim to the 6th and final playoff spot as they play a home game at 1...Bucs please.

Cleveland Browns @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-11)
Mike Tomlin was awfully frustrated after last week's loss and you know he'll use this week as a tuneup for the playoffs. The 1st meeting between these 2 teams was 10-6 with swirling winds in Cleveland. But that was when Cleveland had a semi-competent QB. Steelers roll at home against this division foe and I like the over set at 34.

Tennessee Titans (-3) @ Indianapolis Colts
Pretty even matchup, I'm not even sure if the starters will play the entire game, normally Dungy is the type of coach to rest his players. I'm more of a fan of playing my starters and not mess up there rhythm or chemistry, if the Colts win this they'll be winners of 9 in a row probably going to play the winner of the AFC East. I'll take the Colts.

St. Louis Rams @ Atlanta Falcons (-14)
This is awful game #1 going on this weekend that nobody cares about. Falcons still have a chance to get the 2 seed so they'll sock it to the Rams.

KC Chiefs @ Cincinatti Bengals (-2.5)
Awful game #2, I think the Chiefs are the better team, really with a better offense. If they lose this game I'll chalk it up to tanking in order for them to lock up the #2 pick. I believe I read though if the Bengals win they can go from the 4th to 7th pick and that's quite a big dropoff. The Chiefs have the better QB and Herm Edwards plays to win the game I'd expect the Chiefs to win by a pretty fair margin. I'll take the under at 38.5

Washington Redskins @ San Francisco 49ers (-3)
Awful game #3, You're out of the playoffs and you just upset your division foe and you have to take a trip to the west coast to end the season, what a drag. The Redskins don't have much incentive playing great this game. San Francisco and the under at 37.5

NE Patriots (-6) @ Buffalo Bills
The Bills should be riding high after upsetting the Broncos on the road last week (and helping the Chargers in the process) But they're going to run into an absolute wall this week and get crushed by the Pats.

Detroit Lions @ GB Packers (-10.5)
It's going to happen, the Lions are going to lose and it will be glorious. I don't understand why people want the Lions to win saying no team deserves to go winless. For one, that's a load of crap, two, it's the perfect capper to the Millen ERA. Everything he's done will be embodied in this game completing this era of suckitude. And besides 1-15 is forgotten within a couple years it's happened countless # of times, 0-16 will be remembered forever and if you can get a QB and some great drafts and some solid defensive players you may be able to contend for a division. It makes the turn around that much more impressive. They've already had one of the worst baseball teams ever this decade with the 03 Detroit Tigers, why shouldnt the city of Detroit go for the worst city of the decade (which they've pretty much clinched)

Chicago Bears @ Houston Texans (-3)
The Texans blew there chance to have a winning record last week by getting shutdown by the Raiders. If the Bears can contain Andre Johnson like the Raiders did last week they can win. But that's easier said then done and I predict the Texans win to go 8-8 (a nice finish after a slow start)

NY Giants (-7) @ Minnesota Vikings
Everyone knows the Giants won't let up just because they locked up there #1 seed this week, but the Vikings feature one of the leagues best run defenses and they need to slow down Brandon Jacobs (if he plays) and Derrick Ward early and often. If Jacobs plays the matchup goes in favor of the Giants if not I'd say it's fairly even. I'll take the Vikings.

Carolina Panthers @ Nawlins Saints (-2.5)
Now I'm in a hurry, so let's see if I can rattle off these games real quick. Saints at home, Saints, take the over (set at 51.5)

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Baltimore Ravens (-11)
I like Jacksonville to cover but Baltimore outright

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals (-7)
I'll take the 'Hawks for the upset. Mike Holmgrem is getting an awful lot of attention for this send off. I know he's a good coach but I'm surprised it's garnering this much attention.

Miami Dolphins @ NY Jets (-2.5)
4 of the Dolphins last 6 wins has been by less then 5 points and another by a TD. There luck has to end eventually, right? They'll fall back down to earth next year it's just annoying to see as I keep going against them. And why change that this week? J-E-TS JETSJETSJETS!

Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles (-1.5)
These 2 teams are so hard to predict, I could see either of these teams come out flat this game but can also see either team look unstoppable. I can see either of these teams miss the playoffs (and obviously at least one of them will) but can also see them making the NFC title game. These 2 teams combined for nearly 80 points there 1st matchup and I'd bet we'll see less then half of that this Sunday. This will be a grind it out game, I just hope the Cowboys will be able to contain McNabb and sack him when they have the chance (he probably alluded 4 or 5 sacks there 1st matchup) You know I gotta take my boys but it's not a very confident or inspired pick.

Denver Broncos @ San Diego Chargers (-8)
Is there any doubt that the Chargers will win? After climbing back to be a game from the playoffs it'd be a complete Norv Turner move for them to blow this game, but I don't expect that to happen. These guys will be hungry and pissed off (see the week they beat the Patriots) since they should already be in the playoffs. Phillip Rivers will abuse the Broncos secondary and show why he's better then Cutler at this stage in there careers. As for there playoff implications, if the Broncos win, they're likely one and done. If the Chargers win, I can see them making a little noise in the playoffs.

I'm working with some people and will try and get a bowl preview up, until then...

No comments: