Google
 

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Discussing the NFL bye week and why it should change...

One of the annual annoyances that I have with the NFL is the bye week. Now it's not the problem I have with the bye week themselves but when they start is the problem and to think it actually used to be worse. Before the expansion Texans came into the league I can remember that some teams got there bye weeks the 1st week or 2 of the season. Nowadays since there is an even number of teams the bye week starts in week 4 with 5 weeks 4 teams getting off and 2 weeks of 6, though it will be different this year with Houston and Baltimore's schedule being readjusted due to there cancelled games.

But back to the point at hand, what good can it do a team to have a bye week in the 1st 6 weeks in the season? The only reason I can understand is injuries, which should help the Seahawks receiving core and trying to get experience to your new starters like the Patriots and there new quarterback, but aside from that who wants a week off now as to when you and your team could really use it in the middle of the season. My proposal is to have the bye weeks be from weeks 8-11, 8 teams get a bye week for 4 straight weeks, that way you can have 13 weeks of every team playing (which should make you more money) as opposed to having just 11 weeks of every team playing. Not to mention no team gets a real competitive edge for there bye week because everyone is getting off around the same time and have time to heal and rest up for the 2nd half of the season as opposed to now where teams like the Colts, Pats and Seahawks are getting a bye week not even a quarter of the way through the season.

I mean if you really wanted to get crazy you could give everyone a week off and try and legitimize your all star game and have that in the middle of the season to try and make someone give a damn about the game. Just trying to give the NFL some criticism for a league that receives all to little of it.

Onto week 3:

The Cowboys proved that as of right now they are the best team in the league, and they did this with there quarterback playing less then stellar and a defense that has yet to come up with an interception. Of course you'll hear every expert from now until January say that we'll see how this team does in December and January which is true but it gets a little annoying hearing the same repetitve B.S. week in and week out, but hey who doesn't love cliches? The real thing that bothered me this thing is for the 3rd time in 3 games Romo once again tried to channel his inner-Favre and make something out of nothing, 3 weeks in a row he's got a interception in the red zone and almost fumbled away another chance in the red zone that Flozell Adams was able to recover. I understand that he is trying to stay in the pocket more and more this year and his line is doing stellar most of the time (though they left alot to be desired against Green Bay) but they should try and get him on the run more or out of the pocket, also I think at times he should tuck it and run rather then throw it away or try and force something downfield.

Despite the o-lines lackluster play in pass protection the running game was the exact opposite, Felix Jones and Marion Barber both had big gains and both got into the endzone, Felix has a burst that few others in this league have and he's almost unstoppable when he's got room to run. Also Jason Witten proved why he's the best tight end in the league, and John Madden has a new mancrush. Of course he has plenty of people to choose from on this Cowboys team, you have Brett Favre's bastard child at QB, a real bruiser for a running back and the most complete tight end in the league that does everything right and never raises his voice in anger, a real "pro's pro"

Defensively they held up very well against the run and the coverage downfield was impressive, I hope this team continues to play more man coverage, I hope I never have to see Anthony Henry on Greg Jennings again though. I also think the pass rush was good, they took down Aaron Rodgers plenty and he looked visibly flustered. This game was not as close as the score indicated.

Onto other games

Alot of exciting games this past weekend, 4 games decided by less then a field goal and won or lost by a crucial play, and another game decided by a touchdown. Also a crappy week for me when it came to picking/trusting the big time favorites. Most of the double digit favorites failed to cover (NY Giants, NE Patriots or Buffalo Bills)

Chicago for the 2nd straight week choked a lead when they should easily be 3-0, with Matt Forte showing he's legit and the Bears defense appearing to be back in Superbowl form this is the type of loss that can be completely demoralizing and possibly wreck a season.

Buffalo may have gotten a little to big for there head but was able to salvage the day when Trent Edwards led his team down the field for 2 4th quarter TD's. I didn't get this game on TV but from what I've heard poor management by the entire Oakland personnel was a big reason in the Raiders collapse, not good for Lane Kiffin who has been on pins and needles since before the season. Though I have heard he wants to go back to the college game anyways.

I think we all knew that Cincinatti was bad but due to there performance against the Giants they proved they are no longer in the worst team in the league discussion, which I think is now down to Kansas City, St. Louis and Detroit, what a terrible time to be a fan of Missourri sports (though Chase Daniel and the Tigers could probably hang 40 on either of the NFL teams) Terrible clock management by Cincinatti on there game tying drive though, it gave them no shot at having a crack at the endzone and they had to settle to go for a field goal. If I was Marvin Lewis I may have taken a shot, you're on the road your team is playing way over it's head it would have been a boom/bust decision, but this team's been a complete bust anyways. But alas a very average day by Eli Manning is brushed over because he makes a couple throws in overtime (really a great catch by Amani Toomer, a great pass by Manning would have led Toomer as he waltzes in the endzone. But why let criticism get in the way of the "Golden Boy" )

In the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia battle for state supremacy I can't recall the last time a quarterback took the beating that Ben Rothlesberger did in a game, I don't know how he lasted almost the entire game, it's almost if his entire offensive line bet against them. The only game I can recall that comes close was last year when Donovan McNabb was sacked 12 times, but I think a big part in that was Winston Justice gave up 6 sacks himself and McNabb at times was unwilling to get rid of the ball, the Giants weren't blitzing all that much. Big Ben may not have been sacked as much as McNabb but Philly was relentless in there attack and the hits kept on coming, and he was already playing that game hurt.

Josh Scobee is a bad mutha, 2nd time he's made a game winning kick in Indianapolis. How long will we give Peyton Manning until we start to wonder how healthy he really is? He's been money when the team has needed him to be but aside from a couple of late drives he just hasn't been the Manning of old. I also think I underrated the loss of Bob Sanders last week figured with big injuries to the Jaguars offensive line they'd be able to stop MoJo Drew and Fred Taylor's tandem running attack.

How long will Denver be able to barely skate by with these wins? That defense is bad, but the offense has just overmatched everything the other teams defense has thrown at them. And there running game hasn't even been that great (sans Selvin Young, seriously Mike, start him and give him 15-25 carries a game for the benefit of your team and my fantasy team!)

And I hope last week means we can finally cool the Jets playoff talk, even with the New England Brady's getting there butts handed to them this week by the "hog formation" and the Dolphins (side note: thank you to my fantasy opponent for keeping Ronnie Brown on the bench last week) But we all knew that the Chargers were coming out and coming out hard last week and the Jets couldn't slow them down and made that game look a lot closer then the 19 point loss indicated.

Before I get to the picks, here's some thought's on the Redskins/Cowboys game this week:

I hate the 'Skins, everything about them is annoying from those cross dressing fans, to Joe Gibbs to that Jerry Jones wannabe midget Daniel Snyder to there racist name (how has Redskin stood pat in the age of Political Correctness? Guess it got a grandfather clause, Don Imus must have missed the deadline for applicants) But it seems like the 'Slurs take it all to another level almost as if they enjoy having ultimate bragging rights on being Dallas's #1 rivalry. And I don't care if neither team is great they are still our biggest rivalry sorry Philly and G-men, I realize we are severely hated there but not to the extent of D.C. There was a website the other day that had a picture of a guy's minivan with the license plate F Romo. Not even sure what I would get my vanity plate to say, they have no big name players aside from I guess Portis and license plates never have messages on them so I couldn't say anything tasteless about Sean Taylor's death so I'm stumped.

It should be a hard fought game, the Cowboys are going to have to "get it up" for the 3rd straight week because it essentially is a nationally televised game (95% of the country is seeing it) Thankfully after this game the Cowboys get a couple easier games because this type of atmosphere and intensity just has to wear out a team. But I think we should be able to get to QB Jason Campbell easier then the last 2 weeks since he is mainly a pocket QB (though you may not think that with him being a black QB, presumptive racist HA!) The key is to not let Clinton Portis get loose and Santanna Moss beat you deep which shouldn't be a problem as long as Terrence Newman or Adam Jones is matched up on him. Offensively I would love for the team to get Terrell Owens involved early since his production has been somewhat slow to start the season, I realize teams have been keying on him but I still want to keep him happy, I think he may have an easier time this year because Washington is tougher against the run then the pass.

Onto the picks, last week I was 8-8 and 4-0 vs. the over/under
So I'm 14-16-1 vs. the spread
6-0 vs. the over/under

Buffalo (-8) @ St. Louis
This could get ugly, the Rams replacing an immobile quarterback with a guy who last time was on a football field was knocked with a vicious knee to the helmet, does Trent Green owe people money? I fear for his safety, Bills

Atlanta @ Carolina (-7)
I'd like to see Atlanta prove they can play decently away from home, could see this game being within a touchdown but I'll take the Panthers, especially if Jake Delhomme can get time to throw.

Cleveland @ Cincinatti (-3.5)
I don't know what to think of this game, neither teams have been worth a damn this year, last year there first matchup was a old fashioned shootout where guys came outta the stands and were catching TD's, then the next game was a defensive standstill. Cincinatti because they're at home, this game's to hard to call though, you don't know what to expect from either team.

Washington @ Dallas (-11)
That's a mighty big line for Dallas even at home especially for a rivalry game. But because my chest is puffed out and I'm feeling real confident about my team I'll take them, over/under is 46 take the over.

Denver (-9.5) @ Kansas City
A home team normally gets 3 points for being the home team, that should show you how much the Chiefs suck. I'll take Denver and the over which is set at 47, though for some reason I can picture this game being low scoring.

Houston @ Jacksonville (-7)
Though the Texans normally play the Jaguars well this seems like the easiest game of the week to pick. Jaguars got some flash and flare back with that money drive last week by the Jags so take them, almost tempted to bet the under on that 42.5 too but will refrain.

San Francisco @ New Orleans (-5)
It's a nice story that San Fran is 2-1 but come on how is the spread only 5? The Saints are a real team in a halfway decent division, they don't have Marques Colston or Jeremy Shockey this week but they still have Brees and Bush and if Sean Payton lets him play more Robert Meachem can get some yards to (come on Sean, my WR core is in trouble) I feel like I'm picking the over/under to much but this has to offensive teams and it's only 48, how do you avoid that, especially since I have a perfect record (so far) might as well let it ride.

Arizona @ NY J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS (-1.5)
Make or break game for the Jets and should be a shootout if Mangini grows a pair and throws it early in the game instead of going with a conservative gameplan. It's a new-era of football people it's better to establish the pass and then run with the lead, not the other way around. Give me the Cardinals, probably be wrong in the end but they put up a good fight last week vs. a Washington team that is better. Staying 2 weeks away from home could hurt them though. This win could be huge for the Jets though, they have an absurdly easy schedule after next week's bye. And another game where I take the over on the over/under which is set at 45.

Philadelphia (-3) @ Chicago
Chicago's steaming after blowing there last 2 games and they get a hobbled Philadelphia team, could be just what they needed, will be a "tough hard nosed grind it out game where you show up with your lunch pail" Give me DA BEARS. The over/under is set at 40, just to be somewhat ballsy I'll take the under in this game.

San Diego (-7.5) @ Oakland
Oakland is improved but I'm still not convinced they can compete with the upper echelon of this division, I'll take San Diego. I'd also like for Jamarcus Russell's completion % improve, I understand having 0 competent WR's but still.

Green Bay @ Tampa Bay (-1)
I just don't like Gruden's Bucs a different type of team can show up any week and if they make the playoffs they are in all likelihood a one and done team, I like the Packers they got beat somewhat handily by the Cowboys last week but are still better then a team like the Bucs in my opinion.

Minnesota @ Tennessee (-3)
Another knock down drag it out contest that should feature an over/under of 14 punts between the 2 teams. This will be a joy to watch arguably the best defense in the league go against the beast known as Adrian Peterson, I'll guess he gets 80 yards and a touchdown but the Titans prevail, I would hate to be a quarterback in this game though, they are both mediocre and going against 2 of the best defensive fronts in the league.

Monday Night
Baltimore @ Pittsburgh (-5.5)
Another tough game, Ben has played well vs. the Ravens in the past but he's unhealthy, is without Willie Parker and just got absolutely murdered last Sunday, maybe Baltimore will take it easy on him but that defense looks as good as they have in a long time. I'll take Baltimore.

Until next week, where I'll probably be writing for myself. And I'll try to get my rangers season in review up too.

No comments: