Google
 

Friday, October 3, 2008

NFL picks week 5

I just wrote a long post and don't have it in me to completely focus on my annoyance on this past week's Cowboys loss. Let's just say the entire Sunday was a complete disaster for me. A couple quick things on the game though, the offensive and defensive gameplan sucked, just an embarrassment. Why must the Cowboys insist on playing zone defense and not only that, give each WR they face 8 yards minimum each play, it allowed Jason Campbell to pick them apart because he rarely had a 3rd and long. Offensively, I don't like the fact that they ran only 8 times with a running back but that wasn't the worst part, Jason Garrett got to cute, he kept calling short routes rarely trying any long or intermediate passes and he kept trying to work the sidelines for what ever reason but whenever we went over the middle we did a good job explointing it. And we lost the game by coddling to TO's "needs" and half the passes that went his way weren't good passes, granted he was being covered well the whole game but Romo's accuracy was off at times. And why is this team almost scared to get Felix Jones involved in the offense? They've gotten away from him more and more each week, he's a valuable weapon USE HIM! This team better be in gear this week because it will be embarrassing if Cincinatti keeps it close like they did vs. the Giants 2 weeks ago.

And on top of the Cowboys loss was the field day I had fantasy wise, I have multiple teams but really 1 or teams that I pay alot of attention to particularly one where I have 60 bucks invested in with hopes to turn into more money. The 1st thing I see when I wake up at 1:30 is Carson Palmer decided to take the week off in one of the few weeks where they'll have a shot at winning, then Robert Meacher WR for the Saints gets 99 yards, if you get 100 receiving or rushing yards you get an extra 5 points, I was going against LT and Phillip Rivers I needed those points! Damn you Drew Brees and Sean Payton for reluctantly playing him! Roddy White was also held to 90 yards.

So I was up about 45 points when the Chargers got playing and I only had a kicker going, the good thing was though the Raiders were holding them all game until the 4th quarter, where 1 minutes into the quarter Rivers throw a TD pass followed quickly by a Tomlinson touchdown not even 2 minutes later. At this point I'm panicking, but for the next 9 minutes in the game the Raiders and Chargers seemed to just be going back and forth exchanging possessions and the Chargers get a field goal with 1:51 left in the game to take a 21-18 lead, the Raiders get the ball back and the drive ends with a Jamarcus Russell incompletion with 1:17 left in the game, so you think okay the game is pretty much a done deal, Chargers get the ball back run once with Tomlinson, timeout Raiders. Then a dagger goes through my heart, LT is sitting at 60+ yards and lo and behold he scampers 40 yards for a TD leaving me in shock the next hour. So not only does he get a meaningless TD but goes over 100 yards to get an extra points and I go from up 12 to down 5 in a matter of seconds. And to top it off we have both our kickers going in the Sunday night game, and to sum it up, David Akers misses 2 FG's over 40 yards, he makes 1 of them we tie the game and since I had the tie breaker I would have won.

Isn't fantasy football grand?

Onto the picks, hopefully next week I'll get back to football in the real world (and pick back up to bitching about the Cowboys

Last week I was 7-6 and 3-1-1 vs. the Over/Under
So for the year that is 21-22-1 and 9-1-1 picking the Over/Under

Buffalo @ Arizona (-1)
I'm a little surprised that the Bills aren't favored in this game. Granted they've gotten off to really bad starts 2 weeks in a row they've still won both of those games, while Arizona is coming off a week where they gave up 56 points and also have a hobbled Anquan Boldin. I'll take Buffalo, and the over/under is 48.5 take the over, especially if 'Zona gets down early.

Kansas City @ Carolina (-9.5)
KC is riding high after last week...and will crap the bed this week. Carolina over/under is 38.5, come on they'll find a way to combine to go over that.

Chicago (-3.5) @ Detroit
Detroit looking for a fresh start after there bye week and they get a rival at home. They should stack the box the entire game looking to stop Matt Forte and I'll even hazard a guess that they're successful at it for a majority of the game but in the end the Bears will pull away.

Cincinatti @ Dallas (-16.5)
I'm a little leary at the spread of this game, I mean the Bengals suck but still that's 2 TD's and a field goal I'll pick the Bengals to cover Cowboys to win. Curious if Chad Johnson get's a TD too, I'll guess if Terrell Owens gets 2 TD's he'll steal Chad's TD Dance. Over/under 44 take the over. Of course if Carson Palmer fails to play again I'll take Dallas.

Tampa Bay @ Denver (-3)
I can't imagine Denver losing at home and they'll bounce back against Tampa Bay. Look for them to jump on the Bucs out of the gate and the Bucs don't have enough firepower to come back, though you don't really need that much firepower against this Denver defense. And I think Denver has gone over the over/under every game they've played, it's set at 47.5 and I'll take the over.

Atlanta vs. Green Bay (-4)
I usually use Yahoo sports for looking at the spread, but since Aaron Rodgers status is up for grabs it says n/a. Another site I looked at says the Pack is favored by 4. Green Bay has struggled both running and stopping the run so Atlanta has a shot, and I'll pick them to pull off the upset.

Indianapolis (-3) @ Houston
Houston should be fired up for there home opener and I'm excited to see if Peyton and the Colts have worked out all there kinks in the offense. Both teams are coming off close losses to the Jaguars, give me the Colts.

Pittsburgh @ Jacksonville (-4)
Pittsburgh deserved to lose last week and had they not been facing a rookie QB with fumbling problems they probably would have. Jacksonville rolls in this game

New England (-3) @ San Francisco
I pray Randy Moss can come back to this offense, he failed to light up the Dolphins and if he struggles against the 49ers defense you know somethings wrong. I just need 1 week where people believe he's back so I can ship him off my team. Oh yea, there's still a game to be played, take the Patriots but if they get stomped you know they won't be making the playoffs and all Bill Belichick will focus all his energy on beating Eric Mangini and the Jets again. Also San Francisco has been puttingi up some pretty big numbers this year, this game should surpass the over/under of 41.

Seattle @ NY Giants (-7)
I'm tired of the Giants looking mediocre week to week and seeing them squeak out a victory, Eli still doesn't look that great but no one will say anything because of that Superbowl MVP and the fact that he was bailed out by Amani Toomer's great catch in OT against the Bengals 2 weeks ago. Seahawks get back Deion Branch and Bobby Engram this week and I'm taking the Seahawks.

Washington @ Philadelphia (-6)
I'm curious as to how this game is a 6 point favorite in advantage of the Eagles, they're 2-2 and there 2 best players McNabb and Westbrook are hurt and may not play. Whereas Washington has looked like the best team in the division since week 2, normally when they have any kind of momentum going for them though they screw up. I'll still take the 'Skins.

San Diego (-6.5) @ Miami
The Chargers are back and coming off a big comeback win vs. the raiders and they should roll in Miami. The Cardinals QB Kurt Warner picked apart the Dolphins secondary in week 2 and I look for this week to be much of the same. Over/under is 45 take the over.

Tennessee (-3) @ Baltimore
I really really liked how Joe Flacco looked last week, he made a couple mistakes and fumbled the ball a couple times but overall was a good performance vs. a tough Pittsburgh defense, maybe Baltimore has finally found a quarterback, he's got a rocket arm, can run and looks like he can make all the passes. The Ravens should have won last Monday. You know how much I like Flacco? I'm going to pick them to upset the Titans and hand them there 1st loss.

Monday Night

Minnesota @ Nawlins (-3)
I expect the Saints to have a good passing game despite there lackluster offensive line Drew Brees still gets it done nearly every week. The Vikings are the type of team you can succeed playing the bend but don't break defense and if you can keep Adrian Peterson limited or stifle him a couple drives you should be able to beat them. And if you get a lead early they're screwed. Saints.

No comments: